Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Obsessive Compulsive Slacking

Not too long ago, a writer by the name of Robert Jordan died. A sad occasion, to be sure, but I've heard it said that he was the type of writer who took copious notes. So many notes, that it's possible his next novel could still see the light of posthumous publishing. Good news for his readers.

The other day, my sister and I were discussing this, and she pointed out that - should I pass while in-between novels in a series -- it would be impossible for my 'last' novel to be completed, as I take no notes. Not even she, who lives with me and functions as my best Beta reader, knows what I have in mind. She prefers to read the novels green, without hearing what I have planned ahead of time, because that ruins and/or could influence her thinking as she reads.

It's true, I don't take notes.

I wish I did - I honestly do think they'd be a good idea. And I love notebooks! I have several, some hand made for me as a gift, and several of these black leather bound numbers with a magnetic clasp. I'm drawn to notebooks at the office supply stores, and constantly look for new styles.

Thing is - I'll get a new story idea in my head, and sit down with a pot of Lapsang Souchong, some cookies, a nice micro-fine black gel pen and crack open one of those notebooks . . . then turn into some kind of Wereidiot.

First, I can't use a pen for more than ten minutes before my arm cramps up and my penmanship circles the drain. Second, while I'm not anal-retentive or a neat-freak, my note taking screams for perfect organization. I must have headers, bullet notes, clear, precise and logical points and details.

Basically, what happens is this: Sit down, start writing out character names to get proper spelling. Write the header Chapter One, sit for an hour staring at the lint on the floor, remember what I was doing, jot down some high points, change my mind on the spelling of one character name, rip out the entire page so I can start over.

Yep, can't just cross it out, gotta start over so the notes will be pristine and easy to read!

After a few pages of this, and several re-starts, something will snap inside my head and I'll start inserting lines, crossing things out (like normal humans) and making notes that even I can't read. Then I'll change my mind about the entire plot, need more tea, see something shiny and never open that notebook again.

So, when I become a famous, published author, then die right smack dab in the middle of a series, my readers are gonna be shit outta luck!

But, before anyone think this gives them a distinct advantage in the Great Tea Debacle - fear not . . . For I once penned a 240,000 word epic without jotting down One. Single. Note.

Bwhahahahaha *cough* 'scuse me.

5 comments:

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I ususally have an extremely bare-bones outline to keep me from wandering too far off the plot. But once I'm deep into a novel, I become very afraid that something will happen to me before I can finish and my poor tormented characters will be left hanging forever!

Is that crazy, or what? :-/

Midnight Muse said...

Crazy? Nah *snicker* That's not crazy at all *backs up two feet* In fact, I think all of us writerly types are a bit off *hides the silver*

:D

Peter Damien said...

I write notes, but they're all useless and I write less and less every year. When I write notes, it has less to do with writing anything down and more just something to focus on while my brain puts things together. It's like a monk who meditates while sweeping the same spot over and over again.

I have a really lovely red-leather bound journal that's gorgeous and intimidating. The first thing I did when I got it was to scribble random crap all over the first page. Wha-la! Defaced! So now, I just jot down what I need to in it.

It's taken work, but I can once again handwrite easily for hours as needed. In fact, I'm sitting here with a notebook (nothing fancy, I really like big five-subject notebooks) and working on my novel.

240k epic? Good grief. You talk too much. :)

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

I stock up on single category, 70-page notebooks for $.10 when school supplies go on sale. Then, I label them in the upper right-hand corner for what they're for when I go to use them. Then I write in them in no logical order whatsoever, just using the next page or line or whatever as I need to jot a note or work out a scene or write down a bit of research.

I only right on one side of the paper, too.

When the notebook fills up, I know I have to finish the book. NOTE: Child of Fate's notebook is nowhere near full yet.

Anonymous said...

I'm in with the tea thing. :) I signed up via Lori's blog.

As for strengths and weaknesses, I'll stick to being the dark horse.