Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Obession, by Calvin Kline

is disgusting. But my latest obsession is a show on the BBC called Torchwood.

Funny story - when this was first being advertised here in the States, I thought it looked pretty cool. A little dark, a little adventurous, maybe good for some action that I'm not finding in anything else. And yes, the leading actor is easy on the eyes (and yeah, I know he's gay - like I had or even wanted a chance! It's just eye candy, people).

But I wasn't sure. I knew it was a spinoff from Doctor Who, and I don't watch Doctor Who. Not that I don't believe it's an interesting show in and of itself - it's just that every year they get the most unattractive actors in all of the UK to be the next Doctor. And, since I've been avoiding that show all these years, I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway, I read a few articles about Torchwood and decided I probably wouldn't like it after all, but the previews still tempted me. So then the first ep comes on, and I missed the first half, but turned it on and saw a scene with the leading man explaining Torchwood to a female police officer, and it was . . . odd.

This dude had no accent.

The show is set in Cardiff, with some of the best accents around, and this leading guy had absolutely no accent whatsoever. And that, for some reason, threw me. I didn't know he wasn't British. I knew nothing of this guy, and I can't say for sure why that threw me so much, but it did.

Then a silly conversation ensued over at AW, the result of which was me giving Torchwood another try. And --

I was hooked.

Well that's my funny story, and I'm sticking to it!

Another show that surprised me was Eureka. I found the premise to be ridiculous, based on the promos when it was brand new, and wrote this one off completely. Then caught the premier on accident, and fell in love. It's quirky, the characters are different, less contrived and clichéd than most.

It worked that way for The Dresden Files, too. I won't bother linking, since that one got axed. And before you ask, I don't read Jim Butcher. I don't care for magic, and I mostly ignored that aspect of the show - I was in it for the film noir aspects of this PI.

For the most part, I can't tolerate network television these days. I find my entertainment on the BBC, sometimes even ordering DVD's straight from the UK that have never aired here in the US. I can play them on my laptop, and thanks to some cables and a switch, watch them on my TV screen.

I'm also heavy into Discovery Channel, HGTV, A&E, and sometimes even Chiller.

So there. And I refuse to apologize! I stopped making excuses and apologies for what I like years ago. Same with my opinions. They're free, a little moist - especially in the winter months here in the Pacific Northwet - and while I rarely ever set them free, they smell pretty.

Helluva lot prettier than Obsession, by Calvin Kline

4 comments:

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

I've seen the Dr. Who episodes that inspired Torchwood and I've read the basic premise behind it. Since it was a spin-off, I wasn't certain about it and I've read mixed reviews. Since you like it, I'll have to find when it's airing sometime and record it. I've always thought Eureka! looked neat, but given my schedule, TV time is very limited. I'm planning on buying the DVDs someday to catch up on it then.

Midnight Muse said...

My DVR has saved me - I refuse to be a slave to a television schedule, so I set this thing for season passes - multiple shows.

But sometimes I come on a show a few years into it, so I'll buy whole seasons on DVD and have myself a blast. Saw all of Dead Like Me that way and loved it.

I've seen on ep of Dr. Who with the Captain Jack character and he's darker and more mysterious on Torchwood.

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

Yeah, I know, I'm a bit behind the times. Haven't gotten a DVR yet, but even with one, the time to sit and watch television just isn't there. It's both a fun and a sad life I lead.

I'm trying to picture Captain Jack as dark and mysterious.

Nope. Not working.

Midnight Muse said...

That's funny - until last weekend I'd never known the Captain Jack of Dr. Who, and I have a hard time picturing him as goofy :D