Friday, October 19, 2007

I hab a toad

Two days ago, I started getting this dry, scratchy throat. "Not to worry," I says to myself. "I never get sick."

That's my mantra - I never get sick. And I don't, hardly ever at all. Each December I have to sell back sick leave because we can only carry over so much from one year to the next.

Whenever I do get the sniffles or a sore throat, I go to work to spread the joy. I figure if I'm gonna feel like crap, I might as well be at work. Now sure, if I have a fever I stay home. But like I said, I just don't get sick.

My constant state of denial serves me well.

So I'm sitting here on a Friday with a horribly sore throat and that otherwordly feeling you get from cold medicines, and I'm happy.

Why? You ask. Well, because it's October 19th. By the time November 1st hits, my throat will be fine, my snot will have run, and I'll be healthy and ready to take on The Great Tea Debacle with vim and vigor. Add to that the fact that it happens to be Fall, and that means grey skies, grey water, and solid rain - the perfect recipe for staying inside at the keyboard, plugging away at my novel.

That old Fall/Winter depression that hits so many this time of year -- when you realize the cheer and color of Summer is long gone, and you've nothing to look forward to now save for cold temps, rainy days, impending snow, Thanksgiving with the in-laws (and all that bickering, burned turkey, Grandma's harping and the baby puking up on the fine linen tablecloth you inherited from your Great Aunt Edna) -- doesn't affect me. I've lived here all my life, grey is my favorite color. What do you have coming? Christmas, and all the dashed hopes, ruined plans and Visa bills.

Wouldn't you really just like to curl up on the couch under a blanket, get yourself some hot chocolate with the little sprinkles on top of your marshmallows, the TV remote in one hand, some cookies in the other, and begin that long, Winter's nap? Your favorite shows are on, and those slippers with the warm, soft fuzzy insides are calling your name.

Go ahead and put down the laptop, close it up, and pull out that book you've been dying to read. Let the rain fall, let the wind blow, just feel the steam from your mug of hot cocoa as it warms your nose. Enjoy the soothing warmth as it slides down your throat, and try not to think about those heating bills to come next month.

How's about some Peppermint Schnapps for that mug?

You know, there's plenty of time to get that novel written. Just kick back, enjoy the early sunsets and long, dark evenings. Maybe knit yourself a sweater for the coming blizzard.

Oh, and if you need my address for mailing all that tea, just let me know.

8 comments:

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

ROFL. Ohmigawd. You're just too much. I love it.

Jerry Allen said...

I agree! I was totally laghing. I love this blog. And I hope you get rid of that cold...I hate being sick!

Peter Damien said...

Ah, good, you got my envelope of Eubonic plague...

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

Pete only thinks that one box I sent contained tea "flavoring."

Anonymous said...

:rubs hands together and giggles as they turn on each other, one by one:

~Soccer Mom

Verification: jjocatj: Gangsta slang for yo mama iz a kitteh

Ed Wyrd said...

I miss that otherworldly feeling of medicine. I just have to suffer without drugs. Although I can use Vicks Vap-o-Rub, which I think I'm addicted to.

You guys kill me. Be like me. Admit ahead of time you're going to lose and live with it.

Peter Damien said...

Defeat is not an option!

TONIGHT!!!

WE WRITE!!!!

IN HECK!!!!!

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

Ed, have you seen Pete's description of the tea flavoring stuff I sent him for our last bet? He swears it's a powdered form of Vick's Vap-O-Rub.