Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Writers are strange.

Word association. Makes me nuts sometimes. I'm going along, writing away, then need to name something -- say, a planet, for instance -- and the perfect name pops into my mind. It's perfect because it fits the scene and setting, flows off the mental tongue, and at the time, holds no other meaning in the general world of pop culture.

Which is to say, several years ago, I named a planet Serenity.

We're talkin' 5 years ago. Before Serenity the movie. Even before Firefly *takes a moment to reflect on the genius that is Joss Whedon* So naturally, as I'm doing major rewrites and editing, I realize at this stage I can't keep that name. It brings up the wrong image, and looks as if I stole it.

Yes, I know, you can't "steal" words, but you know what I mean. If I were to name the planet David Bowie, do you think people would give me credit for coming up with that one? It's like naming a character, then a few months later hearing that name on the news as the newly arrested serial killer wanted in 5 states. By the time 60 minutes is through, you can bet you've already deleted that name and replaced it with something completely different.

And while I often find myself snickering at writers who literally agonize over names for their characters, I have to admit naming them is important for a writer. The names have to feel right, sound right, have some appeal - or at least avoid negative connotations. We have to type these names and see them all the time, even dream about them on occasion.

I normally have no trouble coming up with appropriate ones - Alex and Evan in my Keeper series are two of my favorites. Dodge and Mason are also close to my heart. The new series will feature Stephen and Conner.

(note to those who aren't familiar - I don't write gay erotica or anything. My genre is character-based science fiction. Or what my peeps and I like to call "buddy-stories")

Anyhoodle . . . where was I? Oh, right, Serenity.

So now I have this planet that needs a new name - and it's making me nuts. Serenity was a perfect name for this one. It's a planet where dramatic things happen to our major players - not a pleasant place, plagued by storms that prevent human colonization. There are two shipwrecks there, someone dies, and another visiting character committed suicide. And yes, I know what you're thinking: "Does she know what Serenity means?"

I've been trying on Discovery to see what it feels like, and it kinda blows. Went to the thesaurus and it wasn't much help. I suspect I could call this planet Frank, and it wouldn't make much difference to a reader.

I also suspect this is one of those tactics writers use to avoid writing - - "Crap, I can't put one more word down until I name this thing! Aww man! I really need to get this chapter done, but until I can name this planet, I'm stuck! This is really going to be a problem. I'd better go do some laundry and think of a name. Or wash the cat. Maybe if I were to take a long drive in the car, the name will come to me. Bills - I should go pay bills, and the name will come to me. Dang, I'd sure like to keep writing, but until I can find the perfect name . . .

Yeah, writers are strange.

1 comment:

Cath said...

I know what you mean about the name, it's like calling the grumpy old cow at the DVA "Joy", or the spiteful bitch from school "Mercy". It has a kind of appeal. :)