Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Marathon Muse!

Well, that's what I feel like, anyway. I've just completed a marathon of edits, revamping the entire Keeper series. There was a lot of little niddling work to be done in order to fix a few major plot issues that really did suck (let's be honest) and tighten up the storyline. Not just to introduce the new characters and series, but to do the Keeper novels justice.

Well that, and I have two agents reading partials and they had to be completely re-worked.

Now, to be honest in all its brutal, cold reality - I don't expect anything to come from this.

That is to say, I'm pretty damn sure I'll never get published - and I don't think I care so much any more. I started doing this because I love to write. I love it. Creating new worlds and characters, then watching them grow and change - - especially when they're so enthusiastically embraced by my readers the way Alex and Evan have been. There's no better feeling than that.

To know my stories are being read by people I don't know (as opposed to handing them off to a few friends and family) is amazing.

There's a lot of . . . weirdness, in the publish-me world. Some of it makes perfect sense, some of it bugs the crap out of me. Quite a lot of it is just a headache waiting to happen. And that can all-too-often suck the life right out of a writer.

What was I talking about? Oh, right, this was a post about me being done with my edits. Then it sorta took a whiny-ass turn. Sorry about that.

So basically I took pairs of the previous novels and combined them to make full-length, 100k+ stories instead of the odd 70k or 50k sequels that they'd been in the past. There's a huge plot issue that no longer exists, and another one that was completely rewritten to make more sense (thus eliminating at least one Dues Ex Machina, if not three or four)

And guess what!

That means I'm finally writing a new one.

Yep. Finally moving in a forward, progressive motion. This new installment will introduce the new characters and get things going again. I'm back to what makes me happy - writing what I want, the way I want to, and lovin' every minute of it.

Until the next mood swing, anyway :D

1 comment:

Cath said...

Ah, back on the rollercoaster, eh? Good luck!