Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Riddle me this:

I have two sisters. Kim, the oldest, has straight brown hair, brown eyes. Cynthia, the middle, has curly dark auburn hair, brown eyes. Whilst I have curly blonde hair and blue eyes.

Cynthia and I live together, and as we happen to be best buddies, we go everywhere together. And yes, we do look very much alike - above-the-shoulder, naturally curly hair, same general hair cut, our builds are very similar.

So it's no surprise we're mistaken for twins very often. We laugh at it, mostly because our mother is a twin, but the fraternal kind.

But what I don't get is this:

Generic Idiot: "Wow, are you two twins?"
Me: "No, we're just sisters."
Generic Idiot: "Gee, you look like twins. So how far apart are you?"
Me: "We're 18 months apart."
Generic Idiot: "Oh, well that must be why you look so much alike."

WTF????

I mean seriously - WTF ?

Distance between sibling births has NOTHING whatsoever to do with how much or how little they resemble each other. And actually, if you put Kim and myself in a room together and take Cynthia out of the room completely, you'd see the strong resemblance between me and my oldest sister - and she's a full 4 years and 4 months ahead of me!

I swear, I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Though I do like to tease with:

"Oh, well we look alike because we live together."

That usually shuts them up.

2 comments:

Alex Adams said...

WTF? is right! I don't get people sometimes.

*shakes head*

Ed Wyrd said...

So, you're NOT twins?