Monday, August 13, 2007

What Was I Thinking?

So I'm knee-deep in edits (well, really more like up to my boobs, at this point) and I got a bit stuck at this one juncture. I realized, since I've made some significant plot readjustments, if I continue with this other plot issue the way it originally played out, it's going to turn my main character into a bit of an ass-hole.

It would make him responsible for the killing of too man innocents. Well, we can't have that!

So I fussed and I muttered, and I sat in Starbucks with my sister bouncing things off her - like what if he did this, or what if I changed that, the paper around a straw that I wasn't using, and an errant blueberry from my scone.

And in doing so, I was able to figure out the perfect blending of the changes and the plot and how it must mind-meld with the old idea and keep the hero untarnished ( to a point )

Then last night I started thinking about this other little bit, and how it really wasn't logical anymore. And that led to this other small thing that only took place to introduce that one little bit that isn't logical anymore, and how it either has to go, or get altered. Then I got a headache, flipped on my Chant CD and yelled at the cats for fighting on top of me while I was trying to sleep.

Now that I have it all worked out in my head, I'm faced with having to DO it on "paper". It's a little daunting. And the big fear is that it makes perfect sense to me, and it's as clear as the scum on the bottom of a three hundred year old, unattended koi pond to my readers.

But all in all, I'm excited about it. I'm exhausted at the mere thought of doing it, but I'm excited all the same. Maybe it's the Art Festival I'm getting ready for that has me exhausted. I get to sit for three days in a lovely park by a beautiful marina in a smashing tourist town and sell my wares, beginning Friday.

Here's a link to the Festival, if anyone's curious.

http://www.cafnw.org

I won't admit if you can see me in the photos or not - but at the end of it, I'll post photos of the affair on my art web page. So you can avoid them!

Okay, where was I . . . Oh, right -- In. A. Panic!

No comments: