Monday, August 27, 2007

When Free costs $10.00

So my sister and I were at Staples this weekend, she was buying a new office chair and I had to pick up a memory card for my camera. We're checking out, her at one teller and me at another, and I hear her teller ask: Do you want your two free movie tickets?

To which my sister replies: No, thank you.

Well this threw the woman - she was completely befuddled.

Her: But, they're free.
My sister: No, thank you.
Her: You don't want two free movie passes?
My sister: No, but thank you. (you see, we don't go to the theater, we always wait for the DVD or just use Netflix).

So then, finally convinced she's not going to be passing out two free movie tickets today, she does something else with the register, gives my sister her total, and we meet at the other side. I wasn't asked about free movie tickets, I assume because I hadn't spent as much.

As we're walking to the car, my sister checks her receipt and there's a $10.00 charge for movie tickets. Then a $10.00 credit, obviously applied when my sister convinced this woman she didn't want the tickets.

So, these "free movie tickets" cost $10.00. They charged it up automatically, then offered her the tickets. When she refused them, they had to credit her the $10.00 charge for the "free movie tickets."

I'm staring at the receipt as we speak - and right there, it says "Free movie pass $10.00"

Another WTF moment if ever I saw one.

2 comments:

Ed Wyrd said...

Now see, I would have said, Heck yes, Free? I'll take them. Then when I checked my receipt and saw the $10 charge I'd have had to go back and go off on them.

I never turn down anything free even if I have no intention of using it.

Alex Adams said...

WTF?? That's just ridiculous.