Thursday, November 1, 2007

Stop! Hey, What's That Sound?

When's the last time you sat down and listened to music, just for music's sake? I mean, we all listen to music, right? But we have it on while we're doing other things.

I listen to music while driving, or working around the house. I have music on while I write, usually, and I love to plug in the ol' MP3 player headphones when I'm out in the garage drilling rocks or outside mowing the lawn or raking leaves.

And, since I have tympania and silence isn't ever silent for me, I often have a CD of chanting Benedictine monks on while I fall asleep. See, my lovely little white noise generator - the only one I've ever loved - finally died one day and they don't make it anymore. So I found the chanting monks to be the perfect tone and register to 'distract' me from the static, so I can fall asleep.

But I can't really remember the last time I sat down, with the purpose of simply listening to music.

The opera doesn't count, because I was watching actors on the stage. And the ballet doesn't count for the same reasons. I'm talking more like going to the symphony, where all you did was sit and listen to the music, letting it take you away completely.

I even have the radio on right now, behind me, at work, as background noise. But I tune it out more often than not - I just need noise that comes from outside my own ears.

Sometimes I feel like that's such a disservice to the music. That we use it as supplemental noise, or background filler. But perhaps that's what music is for, to fill those little spaces, like jello.

Try this, maybe this weekend or tomorrow. Put on some music - doesn't have to be classical, it can be Rob Zombie for all I care - just put it on, sit down, and do nothing else.

Just. Listen.

Hear every word, feel every beat, follow every change in pace and rhythm.

ENJOY the music for the music's sake. Go ahead, give that a try. Put on, heck, go for 5 CDs. You've got time. Plenty of time. It won't interfere with your writing. It's only Day One.

You. Have. Time.

There's no need to write yourself silly in the first day.

There's always room for jello.

19 comments:

Cath said...

Yuh huh? So not going to work...

Midnight Muse said...

I have not yet begun to fight!

Or, um, somethin'

Peter Damien said...

SOME of us can multitask and listen to music while writing.

Look! Shiny pennies!

Midnight Muse said...

*note to self: mail Pete many shiny pennies*

Midnight Muse said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori A. Basiewicz said...

Oh, just e-mail Pete anything. It'll be enough to distract him.

Tori O. said...

I like your backhanded encouragement.

Midnight Muse said...

You should see my serve!

At least I'm not the gloom and doom guy over at 101reasons to stop writing dot com.

He's enough to make you stop writing all together!

Cath said...

You can mail me shiny pennies. Better yet, mail me shiny $100 bills.

san_remo_ave said...

... now I have that song stuck in my head.

"There's something happening here,
what it is, ain't exactly clear...:

It's a good thing I like that song. I like to rock out to music when I'm writing! ;)

Lori A. Basiewicz said...

Oh. I like that song. I should go buy it.

Peter Damien said...

*turns up his Cab Calloway, Aretha Franklin, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, John Lee Hooker*

*cannot hear your discouraging words*

Peter Damien said...

What a strange web-site that is which you mentioned, Kristine. That 101 Reasons. I get the sense that it's a gag site, but that I'm never quite finding the entire punchline. Although I do agree with pieces of his cynicism here and there, mostly it's just a pretty version of the angry, ranting web-site of some kid who is a week away from getting cheated by PublishAmerica.

Very strange.

Midnight Muse said...

Indeed. I laugh at some things, but for the rest I just sit and think "What's crawled up his bum?"

It's very much like a guy who's ranting and raging because all he's getting are form rejections and no one has seen his brilliance.

Peter Damien said...

Mostly, I think it's funny for a second, then I shake my head and get back to work. I just can't imagine obsessing over this stuff. It would be too much work for me, I'd rather be WRITING.

Some people like to role-play writers, some like to write. The difference is fascinating.

Tori O. said...

You mean this isn't role playing, Pete?

I've been screwing it up all this time.

Anonymous said...

Wait...we actually have to WRITE something? I cant just SAY I write? Well, damn. Thanks for bursting MY bubble!

Peter Damien said...

"I'm a writer."

"oh. What do you write?"

"Huh? I'm a WRITER."

"Okay. And what do you...WRITE?"

"Stop that! Christ! I'm just a writer, okay?"

"Oh....kay....what do you read?"

"I hate reading."

"I have to go."

Ed Wyrd said...

Muse, I always listen to music actively on the weekends after everyone has gone to sleep with a couple of beers.

I don't write on the weekends because of this ritual. Sitting and concentrating on the beauty of the music recharges, reenergizes, and revitalizes me for Monday.